Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sweatin' to the Coldies




So what's it like to pull a toboggan weighing over 100 pounds up and down hills, through waist deep snow, day in and day out in the depths of winter? It hard work! Since winter for many people, including myself at times, has the tendency to make our lives more sedentary, I have made the goal for myself of working out this winter in preparation for our trip in February. In addition to the go-to strength building pull ups, sit ups and push ups, I have also been pulling a loaded sled around the area in order to get my body ready for the unique stresses pulling a heavy load enacts on the body. So far I have been pulling around 90 pounds from 4-5 miles a day on snow covered roads (much to the curiosity and amusement of some of the other folks in the area). Not only is this a great workout but it also gives you experience pulling a loaded sled, which if you haven't tried it, can take a bit of getting used to as a loaded sled, much like spirited horse, can decide quickly and unannounced that it wants to go somewhere other than where you are going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment